So you want to play roller derby?
You've come to the right place! Every skater has to start somewhere, and most SFV Roller Derby skaters started in First Date.
First Date is the league's recruitment and new skater intake program, held once a month at The Lot. You get to strap on some skates and protective gear and learn the basics of roller derby from one of SFV Roller Derby's highly regarded coaches.
First Date is opened to all new skaters, regardless of ability, but space is limited. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to reserve a spot right now!
We practice at THE LOT
12900 Bradley Ave.
Sylmar, CA 91342
What do I need to sign up for First Date?
- Be at least 18 years of age
- RSVP to email@example.com
- $10 per practice
- Lots of water, comfortable clothing, and a mouthguard
- OPTIONAL -- Skates and/or protective gear. Loaner skates and pads are provided on a first come-first serve basis.
What will I learn in First Date?
- Basic skating
- Falls and safety
- T-stops and plow stops
After First Date
Once you attend First Date, you are considered to be Fresh Meat with the league. You can attend Freshie practice on Sundays and Wednesdays, as well as open skate night on Fridays.
As your skills improve, you will take a basic assessment before you are cleared for scrimmage with the rest of the league (called Fresh to Death level) or put on a Home Team. You will need to pass the WFTDA Minimum Skills test before you will be placed on the Fer Sures, SFV Roller Derby's subpool of skaters eligible for travel team games.
Killo Kitty's Four Basic Rules for Beginners
- Skate with the knees bent and low. Remember: the taller you are, the less control you have! When in doubt, get lower!
- If you fall, get up quick! There is usually someone right behind you and we don’t want to trip anyone. And you can't play roller derby effectively from the ground.
- Never EVER reach out and grab someone! If you feel like you're falling, grab your kneepads. If you do fall, fall small!
- Don’t be embarrassed when you fall. Derby is all about knocking each other over. If we have an ego about it, we won’t be able to absorb this wonderful game and all it has to offer. Every fall means you're getting better!
Know a future derby girl? BUy her the gift of derby!
If you know someone who would love to learn how to skate and play roller derby with us, buy her the gift of First Date and get her started on the road to derby greatness!
You can purchase First Date, First Date plus a month of practice, or First Date plus three month of practices.
Please make sure to include her email address in the order so we can send her note about your gift and a welcome email.